Committed to opening-up policy in education and framework of “The Belt and Road” Initiatives, Party Secretary of JUFE Committee Wang Qiao led a delegation to successfully visit the universities in Portugal and Morocco in response to the invitation of Institute Politecnico de Leiria, ISCET-Lisbon University Insititute, Institute Piaget, Abdelmalek Essaadi University and University of Hassan II of Casablanca from June 9 to 16, 2019 together with Prof. Xiao Long (Director of the Office of International Exchange and Cooperation), Prof. Wu Chaoyang (Dean of School of International Trade and Economics) and Prof. Ye Weihua (Dean of Overseas Education School）as the members of the delegation.
During their visit to Institute Politecnico de Leiria，President Prof. Rui Pedrosa, Vice President Prof. Rita Cadima, Prof. Amina Cadima (Dean of School of Media and International Relations), Prof. Marisa Catarina (Deputy Dean of School of Education and Social Sciences,) and Alexander Soares (Head of the Office of International Affairs) warmly welcomed Wang Qiao and his entourage and conducted a cordial and friendly conversation.
President Rui Pedrosa gave a detailed introduction to their university with regard to the advantages and characteristics of school-running while expressing a strong willing to conduct exchanges and cooperation with JUFE. Secretary Wang Qiao briefly introduced history, discipline development and achievements on international education of JUFE. He hoped that two universities will give full play to their respective advantages and jointly contribute to promote The Belt and Road Initiatives against the backdrop of the fact that Portugal is one of an important member who joined “The Belt and Road” Initiative and this is JUFE delegation’s first visit to Portuguese universities. Timing couldn’t be better.
After a detailed discussion, both parties finally reached a consensus to conduct cooperation in joint master’s training program, double master's degree program, exchange of faculty &staff and collaborative research. Secretary Wang Qiao instructed the delegation members to follow up the relevant programs and implement the results of this visit. Subsequently, Secretary Wang Qiao and President Rui Pedrosa signed the MOU between the two universities.
During the visit to ISCET-Lisbon University Institute, JUFE delegation held talks with Prof. Nelson Antonio (Senior Professor of School of Business and Director of PhD Program in the field of strategy and entrepreneurship), Prof. Ma Shaozhuang (Executive Director of Program in China) and Li Xueying (Coordinator of International Affairs Office).
The two counterparts conducted comprehensive and in-depth discussions on topics of common interest in the field of personnel training and collaborative research and then reached a consensus to cooperate in Erasmus+ program, China Europe Scholarship Program, tuition-waiver exchange program, joint master's and doctoral training program, exchange of faculty &staff, collaborative research, and international certification of business institute. ISCET-Lisbon University Institute agreed to include our university as an overseas non-EU national partner in the Erasmus+ program. Meanwhile, the exchange program of their University will be included in the China Europe Scholarship Program and will be submitted to the China Scholarship Council in the proper time.
Wang Qiao made a strong case for exchanging and cooperation and invited the teachers and scholars interested in China's economic issues to join the “The Belt and Road” research institute of our university. The two parties agreed to immediately launch the above-mentioned projects once the agreement is signed.
During the visit to Institute Piaget in Portugal, Wang Qiao and his entourage held cordial and friendly talks with Mr. Pelouro Educacao (Vice Mayor of Almada ), Mr. Rui Gomes (Secretary of Institute Piaget), Prof. Clementina Nogueira ( President of Institute Piaget, Almada Campus), Prof. Fernando Viseira (Campus Director) and Joao Geraldes (Course Coordinator).
President Clementina Nogueira shared their successful experience of setting up campus overseas. Later, Wang Qiao introduced the general status of international education in JUFE, focusing on the development of overseas students' education in recent years. The two counterparts discussed in detail and reached consensus on student exchange, master's degree program and how to meet the needs of local students and citizens in learning Chinese.
On the way to visit Abdelmalek Essaadi University in Morocco, JUFE delegation visited its Confucius institute and learned more about the successful operation of the Confucius Institute and the challenges it faces, providing constructive suggestions for the future development of the Confucius Institute jointly founded by our university and Coventry University.
JUFE delegation presented the leaders of Confucius Institute with brochures and gifts and express the expectation that the exceptional students of Confucius Institute could pursue their exchange or further study in our university.
During the visit in Abdelmalek Essaadi University, JUFE delegation was cordially received. President Prof. Houdaifa Ameziane, Prof. Ahmed EI Moussaoui (Vice President in Charge of Teaching Affairs), Vice President in Charge of International Affairs, Dean of School of Law, Dean of School of International Trade and Management and Dean of the Confucius Institute met with the delegation.
President Prof. Houdaifa Ameziane extended a warm welcome to the delegation's visit and detailed introduced the disciplinary outline and settings and international communication of their university. He values most the opportunity to cooperate with top universities in China amid the proposal of “The Belt and Road” Initiatives. The academic cooperation between two universities will not only expand the diversified and international vision of teachers and students of two universities, but also strengthen the understanding of Chinese culture among teachers and students of Abdelmalek Essaadi University.
Representatives of the two counterparts introduced the current status and scientific research of their universities and discussed the cooperation in student exchange, overseas students’ education, exchange of faculty &staff and scientific research. Eventually, two parties reached a consensus and signed the agreement between two universities.
Next up, JUFE delegation arrived at the last stop of this trip-University of Hassan II of Casablanca. Prof. Abudellatif IRHZO (Vice President of the university), Prof. Kong Lingtao (President of its Confucius Institute) and Oum EI Fares (Coordinator of International Affairs Office) held friendly talks with the delegation.
Vice President Abudellatif IRHZO extended sincere greetings and warm welcome to JUFE delegation. He mainly introduced the history, current status and characteristic specialties of their university, as well as the achievements in talent cultivation, scientific research and international education. He pointed out that they attaches great importance to the friendly cooperation with JUFE and is willing to promote the in-depth cooperation between two universities in academic exchanges.
This visit, serves as the first visit of our university to universities of Portugal and Morocco, has reached the intended purpose for it filled the gap in international cooperation and communication with these two countries, improved JUFE’s international popularity and reputation and promoted the cooperation and exchanges among the above-mentioned universities. All these efforts will make positive contributions to the academic and cultural exchanges among China, Portugal and Morocco.
【A Brief Introduction to the Universities】
1. SCTE-University Institute of Lisbon is a public university founded in 1972. Its areas of specialisation are business, sociology and public policy, social sciences, technology and architecture. It is a research university with nine research centers evaluated by the Foundation for Science and Technology (4 qualified as excellent, 3 as very good and 2 as good).The research center AUDAX collaborates with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), as well as with various local authorities, business associations. It offers dual degrees and works on the same projects with institutions such as Universidade Estadual de Campinas in Brazil, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the US, the University of Gothenburg in Sweden, the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, the Southern Medical University in China.
2. The Piaget Institute is a renowned Portuguese private higher education institution, inspired by the teachings of the famous Swiss psychologist Jean Piaget, who was its first Honorary President. Diversified educational offer includes bachelor, masters and postgraduate courses in various scientific areas, as well as may other professional and personal development programs. Founded in 1979, the Piaget Institute is nowadays present in 6 countries on 3 continents: Brazil, Angola, Cape Verde, Guinea Bissau and Mozambique, besides Portugal.
3. Instituto Politecnico de Leiria is a public science and engineering college recognized by the Ministry of Education of China. It was established in 1980. The university owns three campuses: the headquarters of Leiria Campus, the Caldas Darini Campus and the Peniche Campus. With 1,1,500 students, 885 teachers and 314 executives, Leiria Institute of Technology is one of the largest polytechnic schools. The university offers 62 undergraduate programs and 40 master's programs, which mostly are comprehensive multi-disciplinary programs such as Business and Law, Art and Design, Education and Communication, Engineering and Technology, Health and Tourism.
4. Universit Hassan II de Casablanca, founded in 1975, is a public university located in the economic and financial center of Morocco, casablanca. It is one of the largest university and major comprehensive universities in Morocco. The university owns 18 departments, 94 laboratories and 5 post-doctoral mobile stations. There are 117,000 students in the university and nearly 3,000 overseas students. Since the reform of higher education in 2002, the university has been committed to carrying out international exchanges and encouraging the development of fruitful cooperative relations. Meanwhile, it is also committed to exploring exchanges and cooperation with China in the fields of education, training and research.
5. Abdelmalek Essadi University is a well-known public university in Morocco. The university is headquartered in Tetouan, a city in northern Morocco. It has a branch campus in Tangier with more than 100,000 students, including 970 international students from 49 countries. With over 110 research teams and 16 schools, including school of applied science, school of economics and law, school of teacher training, school of business and management, school of international studies and school of humanities, the university is a comprehensive multi-disciplinary university. The Erasmus+ program of the university was carried out with 18 European universities and dozens of research projects were funded by the European Union.